Construction Plan Requirements
Buildings & Construction
When Do I Need A Construction Permit
How to Submit a Construction Permit Application
Who Can Submit a Construction Permit Application
Emergency Work & Minor Work
Forms, Checklists, & Handouts
Construction Plan Requirements
Sheds, Fences & Retaining Walls
Septic & Well Water Systems
Below are some common questions about construction plans
Any application for a construction permit for a single family residence shall be accompanied by at least two copies of plans drawn to scale, with sufficient clarity and detailed dimensions to show the nature and character of the work to be performed. Plans submitted shall not be required to show more detail or include more information than is reasonably necessary to assure compliance with the requirements of the Uniform Construction Code and rules in this chapter.
In order to meet minimum requirements, the plans must include the following details:
- Site diagram consisting of a site plan showing size and location of all new and existing construction on the site with distances from lot lines and indicating new building services, location and size.
- Construction plans consisting of a scale drawing showing foundation, floor plans, and elevations, including structural framing notes for all floors, ceilings and roofs. Only girders and columns need be identified and located on the plan. Included on the drawings shall be a loading schedule indicating the live loads for which the structure is designed.
- The following details and submissions shall be required:
- A cross section through one typical wall showing construction details from footing to and including roof framing. This section shall indicate all construction materials used including roofing, vapor barriers, sheathing type and thickness, insulation type and thickness, windows, glazing type if other than standard window glazing is used, interior finish material, floor type and thickness, structure, foundation and footings. Decorative material shall not be required to be shown unless it contributes to the structural integrity of the section.
- When roof or other truss systems are used, the details required by N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.15(f)1ii(1)(A) shall be shown.
- Electrical details indicating lighting; receptacles; motors and equipment; smoke detectors; service entrance locations; size and type (overhead or underground); panel size, location; number of proposed circuits. A symbol legend shall be included.
- Plumbing details indicating the locations of fixtures and a notice or table listing water and drainage pipe sizes. A note stating if sewage disposal is to public sewer or individual septic system shall be included.
- Mechanical details indicating the type of heating system; location, size and type of heating unit, noting the distribution method and indicating design rates, location of fire dampers and safeguards; and location, type and size of flue.
- Energy subcode compliance, applicable to new residences and additions to existing residences, shall be demonstrated with either detailed calculations, the submission of NJ Clean Energy Program for Residential New Construction compliance documentation or other "above code" program documentation, the submission of printouts from software recognized by the Department, such as REScheck, or conforming with the prescriptive packages described in the current energy subcode compliance bulletin. REScheck software is available from the U.S. Department of Energy at www.energycodes.gov.
NOTE: To document compliance using REScheck, users shall meet or exceed the applicable requirements of the Energy Subcode. Please see the current energy subcode compliance bulletin for further guidance.
4 Crawfords Corner Road
Holmdel, NJ 07733
Steven J. Winters, CFM
Acting Director of Community Development, Construction Official
Ext. 1313 Email
Technical Assistant to the Construction Official
Ext. 1305 Email
Ext. 1304 Email
Ext. 1312 Email
Plumbing Subcode Official
Ext. 1311 Email
Building Subcode Official
Ext. 1310 Email
Fire Subcode Official
Ext. 1315 Email